LEEWAY® — Sanibel Causeway Toll Facility


History

The original Sanibel Causeway & Drawbridge was opened to traffic in 1963 replacing a ferry boat that had run from Punta Rassa to Sanibel since 1912. In 1991, the original bridges showed signs of deterioration, and Lee County made major repairs. Major repairs were made again in 1997. The bridges continued to show deterioration in the early 2000s, and in 2001, Lee County made plans to replace Bridges B and C, and refurbish Bridge A (the drawbridge).

Construction of the current bridges commenced in August of 2004. As the old bridges were demolished, they were sunk into the water to create a number of artificial reefs in the San Carlos Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. The official grand-opening ceremony for the current bridges was held on September 8, 2007.

Sanibel Lane Dimensions:

Facts:

LeeWay© 2001 
Last Updated: July 10, 2020