LEEWAY® —Cape Coral Bridge Toll Facility
The Cape Coral Bridge was originally a two lane bridge that opened to traffic in 1964 as the sole direct link between Cape Coral and Fort Myers. A toll of 25 cents was placed on the bridge in 1964. The toll was removed in 1975.
A parallel span was added to the south side of the existing bridge in the fall of 1989. This created a four lane facility with separate east- and westbound lanes. The toll of $.75 was imposed to pay the bonds associated with the new facility, and a ten lane toll facility was opened simultaneously. The toll was raised to $1.00 in November of 1993. This action was undertaken to allow funds to be accrued to reduce the bonding requirements for the then planned Midpoint Memorial Bridge. By raising the toll to one dollar in 1993, the County was able to maintain the one dollar toll on both the Midpoint Memorial and Cape Coral bridges rather than raise the toll to $1.25 on both bridges upon the opening of the Midpoint Memorial Bridge. The promise that the Board of County Commissioners made as part of the November, 1993 toll increase to not raise the bridge tolls beyond one dollar for a two-axle vehicle, proved to have a significant impact on the development of variable pricing program.
Cape Coral Lane Dimensions:
- Lane Height: 17 ft 6 in
- Lane #1 Open Road Tolling Lane: Width = 14 ft
- Lane #2 Booth Lane: Width = 11ft
- Lane #3 Booth Lane: Width = 11ft
- Lane #4 Booth Lane: Width = 12ft
- The Cape Coral Bridge is composed of two fixed spans approximately 3400 feet long with a vertical clearance of 55 feet above the Caloosahatchee channel and a width of 95 feet clearance for the center channel.
- One Way Tolling became effective November 1, 2007, charging $2.00 westbound only over the Cape Coral and Midpoint bridges.
- The Cape Coral Toll Facility has a total of six lanes westbound with LeeWay Electronic Toll Collection and three attended boot lanes (for oversized loads, change and receipts) and three dedicated lanes or open road lanes for LeeWay and SunPass account holders.
- Average daily toll paying traffic processed is approximately 19,500 vehicles.
- Annual traffic processed is approximately 7,100,000 vehicles.